Actually, the way I cook my Kalderetang Manok is just the same way I cook my Afritada, the only difference is, when it’s almost done, I would add coconut milk with a dash Crushed Red Pepper. I am telling you, when I cook this, it doesn’t last.
1 whole chicken, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 small can of tomato sauce (or 1 medium can)
3 pcs. of bay leaves
1 whole red bell pepper (sliced)
2 large sized potatoes (cut in small pieces)
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
2 medium sized carrots
3 pieces of hotdog, cut (optional)
1 can green peas to garnish (optional)
salt to taste
a pinch of MSG (optional)
1 tsp. garlic minced
1/2 medium sized onion, (sliced)
2 tbsp. cooking oil
1 can of coconut milk
Crushed Red Pepper (depends on how spicy you want it)
1. Sautee garlic and onion in a large pot using 2 tbsp. cooking oil.
2. Add the chicken, soy sauce and at least 2 cups of water, ground pepper, bay leaves and half of the red bell pepper.
3. Stir frequently to avoid burning at the bottom. Add water as needed to boil the chicken . When chicken is almost done, add tomato sauce and the liver.
4. Let boil for at least 4-5 minutes, when chicken is really tender to your satisfaction, add potatoes and hotdog.
5. Let boil and when potatoes are almost done, add the rest of the bell pepper, salt to taste and MSG if you prefer.
6. Add coconut milk and crushed red pepper. Garnish it with green peas before taking out of the stove.
7. Makes 8-10 servings.
Enjoy!! Next post will be Menudo..Yumm!